“He [my son] is the reason I go hard…as long as he’s happy, I’m good, and everything else is a bonus.” ~ James Pierre
Father’s Day is quickly approaching, and although one of the most important pillars of the family (DADS) seem to get stuck with the short end of the stick when it comes to receiving their recognition and praise for their hard work and dedication in comparison to their parenting counterparts (MOM), I’d like to challenge you to reach out and break the cycle! What better way than to say it than with a meaningful gift? Here are easy, economical and heart warming ideas that I’ve come up with and am willing to share so that you can put a smile on that father’s face this holiday and any day for that matter, life is too short to wait just for the second Sunday in June. These are great gives for dad, granddad, uncle, brother, son (who’s a father), village dad, etc.
- 52 Simple and Fun Activities for Dads and Kids by Brent Johnstone, a new and cool book that allows the kids and dad to journal their activities.
- a personalized Father and Child photo gift: wood panel, canvas, mug or apron. Walgreens photo allows you to upload and order right from your phone! They always have online coupons and most orders are available for store pick up within 24 hours or less!
- Buy color or theme coordinated shirts/tees for Daddy and his sidekicks and go out for a photo-shoot! The mere attention and compliments from passersby is sure to boost his ego! Make a mini brag book that he can look at for years to come. 2 gifts in 1!
- a Treasure Hunt around the house or at the local park! Take the kids shopping for some of dad’s faves (socks, remote batteries, candy, gift cards (restaurant, movie, sporting good store, etc.) and comprise a list of clues of what to find to have him going until he collects all of his gifts! This activity works for multiple dads as a family gathering activity as well. It’s sure to be a memory to last as well as possibly a new family tradition.
- “DAD Off DUTY DAY”- print out vouchers and laminate (clear weathering tape is cheap) for the kids to give Dad on his day such as “free remote”, “free refills”, “we’ll take out the trash”, “unlimited snack tray” or whatever small gift you know he would love, or a chore he wouldn’t mind getting out of!
These are just ideas to get your creative juices flowing or a map as to where to start. Gifts are most appreciated when given from the heart. How could Dad’s heartstrings not get pulled by receiving such a lovely token of appreciation? Why are you still sitting there? Print this page, forward to friend, share the post and get going! Be well, Be Blessed, Be Balanced….C’est la Vie (This is Life)!
This article is dedicated to all fathers who are willing to unselfishly give of themselves in order to rear and mold our future leaders in their own way…doing the best that they can. Parenting comes with no instruction book but you can learn by example and simply spending quality time with your children and the children in your village, ASHÉ!